By Southern Volunteering (SA) Inc.
Project implemented: August 2017 – April 2018 pilot project on the Fleurieu Peninsula funded by Regional Development Australia Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu & Kangaroo Island.
April 2019 – April 2021 project expanded to Metro South and Fleurieu Peninsula, funded by the Office for Ageing Well, SA Health
To develop the processes for the recruitment of skilled volunteers (aged 55+) into roles that utilise their skills and experience and to educate and promote the development of skilled volunteering roles to community organisations.
Why is this project important?
Increases the expertise available to the public and brings in a wider diversity of skills which organisations may need and not be able to afford.
Key steps to make it happen
- Link skilled volunteers to meaningful volunteering roles
- Support organisations to develop and fulfil volunteering opportunities that require skills and experience.
Impact to date
Results from the pilot project showed:
- Almost 100% of potential candidates for the VIBE project expressed a desire to be considered for a skilled role. Those who declined did so due to ill health, had gained employment or were satisfied with existing volunteer roles;
- Successful referrals were given the opportunity to utilise their skills and to transfer their skills into industries where they had no previous exposure
- Over 30 local volunteers were referred to skilled roles across graphic design, teaching, bookkeeping and accounting, IT, nursing, editing and writing, music, Counselling and disability.
- Southern Volunteering has now developed the processes and staff/volunteer education in a greater understanding of the opportunities for volunteers with skills and organisations requiring skills
Regional Development Australia Adelaide Hills, Fleurieu & Kangaroo Island (August 2017-April 2018)
South Australian Government Office for Ageing Well (April 2019 – April 2021)
About Southern Volunteering
Southern Volunteering (SA) Inc. is the Volunteer Resource Centre for South Adelaide, the Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island.
Main services include:
- Providing information on volunteering opportunities and roles available in the southern suburbs of Adelaide, the Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island
- Providing information, support and training relating to volunteers and volunteering, for not-for-profit organisations operating in the southern suburbs of Adelaide, Fleurieu Peninsula and Kangaroo Island
t (08) 8326 0020 e firstname.lastname@example.org